What is this? #
This is a companion repo to the main Flutter repo. It contains the source code for a suite of
performance tools for Dart and Flutter. All of the core app logic is in /packages/devtools_app with package:devtools serving as just a container to publish precompiled
versions of the application for easy use with
pub global activate.
Getting started #
For documentation on installing and trying out DevTools, please see our docs.
Feedback and issues are best reported at https://github.com/flutter/devtools/issues. Thanks for trying out DevTools!
Terms and Privacy #
By using Dart DevTools, you agree to the Google Terms of Service.
- Update package:vm_service dependency to ^4.0.0
0.2.3 2020-03-03 #
- Disable Q1 DevTools survey - postponing until Q2 #1695
- Fix async timeline event rendering bug #1690
- Update package:vm_service dependency to ^3.0.0 #1696
0.2.2 2020-02-28 #
- Remove cpu profiling timeout [#1683]((https://github.com/flutter/devtools/pull/1683)
- Prep for Q1 DevTools survey #1574
- Use ExtentDelegateListView for flame chart rows #1676
- Make the layout explorer more null safe #1681
- Store survey data by quarter tags #1660
- Don't check for debugDidSendFirstFrameEvent when adding service extensions for Dart VM apps #1670
- Restructure HTTP code for shared use with Timeline and check http logging availability #1668
- Debugger file picker #1652
- Port CPU bottom up table to Flutter #1659
- Add extent_delegate_list supporting fast lists where each element has a known custom extent #1646
- Workaround VM Regression where first heap sample's rss value is null #1662
- Remove the dependency on package:recase #1656
- Polish SafeAccess extension methods to use getters and support Iterable #1647
- Updated mp_chart to 0.1.7 #1654
- Introduce a view for showing the source of a script in Flutter with the monospaced font #1649
- Load imported timeline files #1644
- Introduce an interface for the notification service for use in controller logic #1645
- Fix null error in timeline page #1641
- Stop disposing Notifications and Controllers from import_export #1640
- Remove dependency on package:flutter_widgets #1636
- Created CLI to write Flutter application memory profile statistics to a JSON file #1628
- Improve the error reporting on connection issues #1635
- Add import / export functionality and support drag-and-drop #1631
- Fix timeline bug throwing error for empty recording #1630
- Make the rollback help text consistent with the other commands #1634
- Introduce a rollback command that pulls an old devtools build and preps it for release #1617
- Add zoomable timeline grid and timestamps to flame chart #1624
- Use registerServiceExtension method instead of eval directly in layout explorer #1531
- Factor zoom level into flame chart node selection logic #1623
- Update to support devtools_server #1622
- Flame chart zoom and navigation with WASD keys #1611
- Updated to use package:devtools_shared #1620)
- Initial devtools_shared package #1619
- Remove --trace-systrace flag from MacOs and Linux configs #1614
0.1.15 2020-02-07 #
- Fix a stack overflow error that was caused by a change in Dart's RTI implementation #1615.
- Hide annotations that Flutter re-exports #1606
- Update package:devtools_server dependency to 0.1.13 or newer #1603
- Update package:sse dependency to 3.1.2 or newer #1601
0.1.14 2020-02-03 #
- Added collecting of Android Debug Bridge (adb) Java memory information see PR.
- Added multiple charts to memory profiling (Dart VM and Java memory).
- Added display interval e.g., 1 minute, 5 minutes, 10 minutes for memory charts.
- More succinct memory detail marker (pop-up) for data points of a particular timestamp.
- Graceful resize buttons and drop-downs in memory profile for narrower windows.
- Updated exported JSON format both Dart VM and ADB memory information.
- Added timeline slider, to memory profile, for temporal navigation in charts.
- Added ‘Clear’ button, to memory profile, throws away all collected live data.
- Fix a number of charting bugs NaN, INF problems, axis scales, etc.
- Support saving and loading memory profile data.
- Add Track Widget Builds toggle to Timeline.
- Fix issues with async trace event rendering in Timeline.
- Add timing and id information in Timeline event summary.
- Improve hint text on connect screen.
- Update package:vm_service dependency to ^2.2.0.
0.1.13 - 2019-12-10 #
- Fix crash opening macOS desktop apps in DevTools.
- Enable layout explorer.
- Hide legacy page content in the flutter version of DevTools.
- Fix offline import bug in Timeline.
- Use published version of mp_chart package.
0.1.12 - 2019-12-06 #
- Enable testing the alpha version of DevTools written in Flutter. Click the "beaker" icon in the upper-right to launch DevTools in Flutter.
- Fix a regression that showed an inaccurate error on the connect screen.
- Fix bug causing async events with the same name to overlap each other in the Timeline.
- Include previously omitted args in Timeline event summary.
- Include "connected events" in the Timeline event summary, which are created via the dart:developer TimelineTask api.
- Reset debugger search bar on hot reload.
- Check for a debug service extension instead of using eval to distinguish between debug and profile builds.
- Depend on the latest
0.1.11 - 2019-11-08 #
- Add full timeline mode with support for async and recorded tracing.
- Add event summary section that shows metadata for non-ui events on the Timeline page.
- Enable full timeline for Dart CLI applications.
- Fix a message manager bug.
- Fix a bug with processing CPU profile responses.
- Reduce race conditions in integration tests.
0.1.10 - 2019-10-18 #
- Change wording of DevTools survey prompt.
0.1.9 - 2019-10-17 #
- Launched the Q3 DevTools Survey.
- Bug fixes related to layouts and logging.
- Update to use latest devtools_server 0.1.12.
- Remove usage of browser LocalStorage, previously used to store the user's answer to collect or not collect Analytics.
- Analytic's properties (firstRun, enabled) are now stored in local file ~/.devtools controlled by the devtools_server.
- Now devtools_app will request and set property values, in ~/.devtools, via HTTP requests to the devtools_server.
- Store survey properties on whether the user has answered or dismissed a survey in the ~/.devtools file too.
0.1.8 - 2019-10-01 #
- Query a flutter isolate for the target frame rate (e.g. 60FPS vs 120FPS). Respect this value in the Timeline.
- Polish import / export flow for Timeline.
- Depend on latest
0.1.7 - 2019-09-09 #
- Fix bug with profile mode detection.
- Enable expand all / collapse to selected functionality in the inspector (available in Flutter versions 1.10.1 or later).
- Fix analytics bug for apps running in profile mode.
- Fix bug in memory experiment handling.
- Hide Dart VM flags when the connected app is not running on the Dart VM (web apps).
- Former "Settings" screen is now the "Info" screen - updated icon accordingly.
- Various CSS fixes.
- Code health improvements.
0.1.6 - 2019-09-04 #
- Add a page to show Flutter version and Dart VM flags details.
- Add settings dialog to memory page that supports filtering snapshots and enabling experiments.
- Various css fixes.
- CSS polish for cursors, hover, and misc.
- Use frame time in CPU profile unavailable message.
- Fixes to our splitter control.
- Rev to the latest version of
- Remove the dependency on
- Remove the dependency on
ssesschemes for connection with a running app.
- Address an npe in the memory page.
- Polish button collapsing for small screen widths.
- Adjust some of the logging flutter.error presentation.
- Fix thread name bug.
- Support Ansi color codes in logging views.
- Add keyboard navigation to the inspector tree view.
- Enable structured errors by default.
- Fix NPE in the Debugger.
- Improve testing on Windows.
0.1.5 - 2019-08-05 #
- Support expanding or collapsing all values in the Call Tree and Bottom Up views (parts of the CPU profiler).
- Support touchscreen scrolling and selection in flame charts.
- Display structured error messages in the Logging view when "show structured errors" is enabled.
- Search and filter dialogs are now case-insensitive.
- Link to Dart DevTools documentation from connect screen.
- Disable unsupported DevTools pages for Dart web apps.
- Debugger dark mode improvements.
0.1.4 - 2019-07-19 #
- Add Performance page. This has a traditional CPU profiler for Dart applications.
- Add ability to specify the profile granularity for the CPU profiler.
- Bug fixes for DevTools tables, memory page, and cpu profiler.
0.1.3 - 2019-07-11 #
- Link to new flutter.dev hosted DevTools documentation.
- Inspector UI improvements.
0.1.2 - 2019-07-01 #
- Add Call Tree and Bottom Up views to CPU profiler.
- Pre-fetch CPU profiles so that we have profiling information for every frame in the timeline.
- Trim Mixins from class name reporting in the CPU profiler.
- Add searching for a particular class from all active classes in a Snapshot. After a snapshot, use the search button, located to left of snapshot button (or the shortcut CTRL+f ), to find and select the class in the classes list.
- Add ability to find which class and field hold a reference to the current instance. Hovering on an instance's allocation icon (right-most side of the instance). Clicking on a class/field entry in the hover card will locate that particular class instance that has a reference to the original instance being hovered.
- Expose hover card navigation via a memory navigation history areas (group of links below the classes/instances lists).
- Allow DevTools feedback to be submitted when DevTools is not connected to an app.
- Support URL encoded urls in the connection dialog.
- Add error handling for analytics.
- Cleanup warning message presentation.
- Bug fixes and improvements.
0.1.1 - 2019-05-30 #
- Make timeline snapshot format compatible with trace viewers such as chrome://tracing.
- Add ability to import timeline snapshots via drag-and-drop.
- Memory instance viewer handles all InstanceKind lists.
- CPU profiler bug fixes and improvements.
0.1.0 - 2019-05-02 #
- Expose functionality to export timeline trace and CPU profiles.
- Add "Clear" button to the timeline page.
- CPU profiler bug fixes and improvements.
- Inspector polish bug fixes. Handle very deep inspector trees and only show expand-collapse arrows on tree nodes where needed.
- Fix case where error messages remained on the startup screen after the error had been fixed.
- Add ability to inspect an instance of a memory object in the memory profiler page after a snapshot of active memory objects.
- First time DevTools is launched, prompt with an opt-in dialog to report DevTools usage statistics and crash reports of DevTools to Google.
0.0.19 - 2019-05-01 #
- Update DevTools server to better handle failures when launching browsers.
- Support additional formats for VM service uris.
- Link to documentation from --track-widget-creation warning in the Inspector.
0.0.18 - 2019-04-30 #
- Fix release bug (0.0.17-dev.1 did not include build folder).
- Add CPU profiler (preview) to timeline page.
- CPU flame chart UI improvements and bug fixes.
- Bug fixes for DevTools on Windows.
- DevTools server released with support for launching DevTools in Chrome.
- Dark mode improvements.
0.0.16 - 2019-04-17 #
- Reduce the minimum Dart SDK requirements for activating DevTools to cover Flutter v1.2.1 (Dart v2.1)
0.0.15 - 2019-04-16 #
- Warn users when they should be using a profile build of their application instead of a debug build.
- Warn users using Microsoft browsers (IE and Edge) that they should be using Chrome to run DevTools.
- Dark mode improvements.
- Open scripts in the debugger using ctrl + o.
0.0.14 - 2019-03-26 #
- Dark mode is ready to use, add
&theme=darkat the end of the URI used to open the DevTool in Chrome. We look forward to your feedback.
- Added event timeline to memory profiler to track DevTool's Snapshot and Reset events.
- Timeline CPU renamed to UI, janky defined as UI duration + GPU duration > 16 ms.
- Timeline frame chart removed 8 ms highwater line, only 16 ms highwater line, display 2 traces ui/gpu (instead of 4). Janky frames will have a red glow.
- Flame chart colors use a different set of palettes and timeline is sticky.
- Warn users when they are using an unsupported browser.
- Properly disable features that aren't supported for the connected application.
- Fix screens for different widths.
0.0.13 - 2019-03-15 #
- Dark mode, still being polished, is available. Add
&theme=darkat the end of URI used to open DevTools in the Chrome browser.
- Added showing GCs on the timeline and leak detection.
- Fix bugs when events were received out of order.
- initial (pre-release) release
Use this package as an executable
1. Install it
You can install the package from the command line:
$ pub global activate devtools
2. Use it
The package has the following executables:
Describes how popular the package is relative to other packages. [more]
Code health derived from static analysis. [more]
Reflects how tidy and up-to-date the package is. [more]
Weighted score of the above. [more]
We analyzed this package on May 5, 2020, and provided a score, details, and suggestions below. Analysis was completed with status completed using:
- Dart: 2.8.1
- pana: 0.13.8-dev
Maintenance issues and suggestions
dartdoc successfully runs on your package's source files. (-10 points)
exitCode: 255 stdout: Documenting devtools... Initialized dartdoc with 37 libraries in 39.1 seconds Validating docs... no issues found Documented 0 public libraries in 7.4 seconds stderr: Unhandled exception: dartdoc could not find any libraries to document #0 Dartdoc.generateDocs (package:dartdoc/dartdoc.dart:196:7)
Package is pre-release. (-5 points)
Pre-release versions should be used with caution; their API can change in breaking ways.
|Dart SDK||>=2.3.0 <3.0.0|